Friday 23 March 2012

Review: Estee Lauder Pure Colour in Crystal Baby


I’ve always seen Estee Lauder as a bit ‘mumsy’ but over the past few years they have really upped their game, especially since Tom Pecheux got involved with their collections.  I’ve been recently hunting around for some dependable nudes to add to my collection and when Crystal Baby came up on Buyapowa, I decided it was time to take the plunge. 

Crystal Baby is one of the signature nude lippies from the Pure Colour Crystal Collection which consists of a whole range of shades from understated nudes, to bright and vibrant plums and berrys.  The formula itself is said to be both sheer and moisturising, providing a hint of colour rather than a full-on opaque lip. 

Estee Lauder’s packaging certainly veers towards the luxurious side with a predominantly gold tube featuring the Estee Lauder logo, with the bottom of the tube illustrating the colour of the lipstick.  The colour of the Crystal baby tube is a shimmering, almost iridescent peach which looks quite unlike the colour of the bullet, but I do like how the colour is displayed.  I wish more companies would do this as it takes me forever to find the Mac lippy in my makeup bag that I am after each morning! 

The colour in the bullet is of a brown / peachy nude which is predominately warm toned.  When swatched, it certainly appears to be more peach than brown and has a significant shine.  When applied to my well-pigmented lips, it takes upon a my-lips-but-better hue, not making a huge difference but certainly giving a more polished overall appearance.  If you have less pigmented lips, it may appear slightly brighter on you, although these lipsticks are not meant to be opaque, and are part of the ongoing recent trend for liptick / balm hybrids.

Due to its lack of pigment, I would imagine Crystal Baby  would suit most people and it is so easy to wear with a variety of different looks.  I have been rocking it with a dark smoky eye, or simply for a work-friendly look with neutral, understated eye shadow, often Chanel’s Illusion d’Ombre in Emerveille.
Sorry for blurred pic - it was the only one that captured the colour accurately.

The formula is fantastic and it glides onto the lips very easily.  I love the fact that it doesn’t feel like I am wearing a lipstick as it is so light and it is very moisturising compared to many other lipsticks I own, although it obviously doesn’t replenish moisture as a lip balm does.   It imparts a subtle sheer shine on the lips and is very comfortable to wear, however this comfort comes at a price which means I only get up to two hours wear from it before it vanishes.  One other thing I must mention is the scent which is very noticeable.  I think it may be rose (although I am rubbish at discerning fragrances and notes which is why you are unlikely to see a perfume review from me!).  Whatever the scent, you will notice it on applying, although after a few minutes it does dissipate. 

In terms of dupes, there are probably a lot of them out there as any sheer, slightly peachy lipstick / balm hybrid would be similar. 

Verdict
I enjoyed using this lipstick and couldn’t really find much bad to say about it other than it is probably fairly dupable.  However, if you love nude lippies and want a comfortable, moisturising formula, then Estee Lauder have done an excellent job with this.
3.5/5
Price  - £15
Where to Buy - Boots, Debenhams, House of Fraser, Selfridges, John Lewis

6 comments:

  1. that's a really pretty shade x

    ReplyDelete
  2. Great review, it looks really nice on :) xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, I think it would suit most people, its a great neutral shade.
      x

      Delete
  3. I looooove this lipstick! It's very hard to find in France though :-(

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks - its well worth seeking out if you can!
      x

      Delete