Wednesday 22 February 2012

Review: OPI Save Me Nicki Minaj


My on / off love affair with glitter continues this week in the form of ‘Save Me’ another glitter from the Nicki Minaj collection. Why I persevere with glitters when they are far less simple to remove than regular polish I am have no idea (!), but I am drawn to shiny sparkly things like a magpie and this polish is certainly both shiny and sparkly!

From first impressions, the bottle looks like any other dense glitter, but on closer inspection, you can see tiny bar glitters of blue, silver and pale pink swirled in amongst the regular grains of silver glitter.
All that glitter is suspended in a clear polish and as a result, this means that this is more of a glitter top coat than a stand-alone glitter polish such as the other colour I tried recently  ‘Metallic 4 Life’ (reviewed here). 


L to R: Save Me, OPI Suzi Says Feng Shui, OPI A Good Mandarin is Hard to Find, Essie Super Bosa Nova, Chanel Deauville, OPI Lucky Lucky Lavender, Nars Purple Rain

The polish flows easily onto the nail, as I find is standard with other OPI polishes, and deposits a good amount of glitter onto the nails.  To achieve full coverage, verging on opaque, with only this polish, I anticipate that you would need at least 3 coats, however the stand out feature of this product for me is the ability to layer it over other polishes.



In the picture above, I have swatched ‘Save Me’ over several different polishes, as well as on its own, so you can get an idea of how it looks combined with other shades.  The swatch of ‘Save Me’ on its own is only two coats and you can see how it would need to be built up in order to become opaque.
With flash - Save Me and Suzi Says Feng Shui
‘Save Me’ combines well with both pink and blue shades of polish and I have done a NOTD above with OPI’s ‘Suzi Says Feng Shui’.  I think ‘Save Me’ will probably go best over crèmes rather than shimmers but it is very versatile and I can confirm that, as some of the glitter is in bar form, it is not absolute murder to remove!

Verdict
An impulse buy as part of my love/ hate relationship with glitters, this was a welcome surprise and not a regrettable purchase.  The glitter applies easily and combines well with many shades, and due to the presence of bar glitter, it is unique in my collection.  If you like glitter polishes, I can certainly recommend this!
4/5

Price £10.50-£11, although you can get this much cheaper from US ebay sellers, I bought both my polishes from BuyaPowa.
Where to BuyHQ Hair, Beauty Bay

11 comments:

  1. I was so very close to buying this yesterday but I worried it would only really work over other colours which it appears is true :( x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, if you are looking for something you can wear on its own, I think you could be disappointed. But as a glitter topcoat it is fab!
      x

      Delete
  2. It looks great over the blue nail polish :) xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you - I haven't worn this blue much but I am really liking it with Save Me.
      x

      Delete
  3. Yeah trying to get glitter polish off is one thing that puts me off. But I fail for their sparkles every time!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. They always entice me in too!
      x

      Delete
    2. Use the foil method! Put remover on a piece of cotton wool, place it on the nail and wrap it all up in kitchen foil. Then leave for 5 minutes, give it a little rub and remove... et voila! xx

      Delete
  4. I love glitter polishes too! I can't help myself, they're just so pretty... :P x

    ReplyDelete
  5. Love the glitter! Looks great with a range of different colours Xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, I am pleased it goes with lots of different polishes.
      x

      Delete