Monday 23 April 2012

Review: China Glaze Hunger Games - Riveting and Agro

I read The Hunger Games trilogy a couple of years ago, and was engrossed in them from the outset. In keeping with the current trend for theming nail polish colours and sets around films, China Glaze have released a collection loosely based around the movie.
I picked two polishes from the range: Riveting a bright shimmering red orange, and Agro, an olive green / gold hybrid with an almost frosty finish.
 
Riveting is unusual for a Summer collection release- it is a colour I would more traditionally associate with Halloween!
The polish on the nail looks almost identical to the colour in the bottle and the shimmer is very evident. It is almost a golden shimmer, and I found this to make it unique in my polish collection. Application was three coats although you could easily manage with two. I did find that the formula was very liquid and runny though, and rather difficult to control. It was easy to load the brush with too much product and this made for a tricky application for someone as clumsy as me! I'm not sure if this is always the case with China Glaze polishes, but it was certainly true of both of these.
Agro is another unique colour and one I think will be gorgeous come autumn. Again I used three coats, not so much to achieve opacity but more to even out the polish as it did have a tendency to show brush strokes. 

I was a little disappointed with the swatch colour of Agro as I would have like more of the golden shimmer / duochrome finish to show through. It looked a little flat on the nail, especially when compared with all the promise of the bottle but it is still very pretty.
L to R: Riveting and Agro (with flash)
Verdict
These polishes are both unique to my collection and whilst they don't scream Spring, I'm especially looking forward to wearing them both come Autumn. The only fail for me was the formula as I prefer a slightly thicker product, finding it much easier to apply. If you are prepared to work with it though, these colours are lovely, and they provide an interesting change from all the corals and pastels currently doing the rounds.
4/5
 
Price - £6.59
Where to buy - Sally's, US eBay

4 comments:

  1. Love Riveting!! Super cute :) I have a similar one to Agro from 17 at Boots, it's called Fury, really alike!
    xxx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you! Its great to know there is an easier to source dupe!
      x

      Delete
  2. I love Agro, it's a really interesting shade xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I've been wearing it today and I'm actually liking it more the more I wear it!
      x

      Delete